Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Michael DiLucca - 10/31/16-11/7/16

This week Was mostly me implementing a basic AI that will be added to our main build. So far the AI will walk randomly on a nav mesh.

What I would like it to constantly follow the ball on the platform. When the ball is on the left side of the field the AI should be on the left side of the platform. Even if this takes away from the immersion we need to get a basic AI that can constantly track the balls position.

Next The AI should be able to grab the ball when it's within his range.

The AI should then throw the ball back towards the players side of the field.

Side from that, I plan on updating the current sprint to reflect the next 2 weeks of development. This will include 3 total hours of planning, meeting, and organizing.

AI Programming (8)
Sprint Planning (3)

What Went Right:
AI implementation was simple and straight forward. It was a lot to do but in the end it worked fine and the way I anticipated.

What Needs Improvement:
I have no energy at meetings because I am barely eating anything. This is mostly due to stress and a busy schedule. I should make time to grab a bite even if it means missing 20 minutes of a meeting.

What went Wrong:
I was really sick this week and have an appointment made Thursday.
My classes have multiple midterms so the last 3 weeks has been very busy for me.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Andrew DiNunzio - 10/31/16-11/7/16

This week I spent time concepting and implementing some of the aforementioned whip mechanics.

I figured out some more of the math that would be involved, as shown:


I then considered how I could apply drag to the ball in a way to make the spline length approach a certain number. Thanks to the Math Stack Exchange site, I found this function I could use:


Unreal Engine has a "Linear Damping" functionality which reduces the velocity  of an object on each tick of the game. I subtracted the function above from 1 to get how much to reduce the object's velocity by. This worked very well, but it still needs a lot of work.

I implemented this Resistance to Stretch, as shown below:





Additionally, I wrote out how I might figure out which direction to apply a force for Resistance to Bending dynamically. I figured out a way to figure out the direction by taking multiple partial derivatives of an ellipsoidal function. I made the assumption that two of the dimensions of the ellipsoid would be the same (the one along the ray-cast of the motion controller being the one that is different). Given the length of the spline as being the desired endpoint, I was able to calculate what the ellipsoid would be, and thus what direction to apply the force by taking the derivatives, by calculating the following:


My next step is to implement this as a force, combined with a drag similar to the Resistance to Stretching force, preferably in C++ if possible to avoid frame drops.


 Time spent: Total: ~15 hours


  • 2 hours - Working out math for Resistance to Stretching, Resistance to Bending, and Drag
  • 8 hours - Implementing Stretching Force
  • 2 hours - Platform size reduction
  • 3 hours - GDD work

Pros:

  • Our gravity beam feels much better
  • Almost all of the "difficult" things are programmed (even if they aren't working perfectly). AI is the last one to implement.
Cons:
  • Code for gravity beam is tightly coupled to the MotionControllerPawn
  • Multiple branches in VCS, which doesn't work well with binary UE assets
  • Whip mechanics still need a lot of work - feels like throwing a balloon with a pool noodle, when it should be thrown with much more force.


Monday, November 7, 2016

Mike Cancelosi 10/31/16-11/7/16


This week the artists were assigned a second pass at the hero assets. At this point all I have to do is mess with one additional particle system and I think it should be done.




As for the coding side, I helped fix a bug with the score board by shooting the ball off in another direction when a goal is scored. I also added an aim assist to the tool with the help of Johanna.

Pros: I like how the gravity well is coming
Cons: I wish I had done some more coding.

Hours spent: 7