Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Tyler Schacht PPJ: 5/23 - 5/30

--- Normal PPJ ---
   So this week I worked on the main menu a little more, but unfortunately it will most likely not be making it into the Showcase build (not that you would see it anyway to allow more people to try out our game).  I'm still going to try to push for it to be implemented for Senior Showcase.  It will probably be pushed to Steam at a later date.
   A lot of classes have deliverables this past week so I have had to work on those as well.  Not only that but as you may have guessed from reading everyone else's PPJs, the UE4 Sequencer lost us a lot of time.  We spent 14 hours working on solely capturing footage and about half of it was unusable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Total Hours: 17 hours
- Footage Recording / Team Meeting: 14 hours
- Main Menu work: 3 hours

Positives: I didn't go completely insane after literally every single thing went wrong.

Negatives: I wish I could've had more time to work on the main menu to have it in the trailer.


--- Post Mortem ---
I'm extremely happy that I was able to partake in Senior Project.  Even though it was extremely difficult and challenging trying to balance all of my other classes with this one.  The experience was well worth it.

3 Things that went Right:

- I could not have a better team, all of us really meshed well together and were able to meet multiple times a week to hammer out designs, issues, art, coding, etc. Then there was Stefan who wasn't able to meet with us all the time, really guided us in the right direction of how to properly use VR in a game

- Our motto in the beginning was "Under-Sell, Over-Deliver" (I believe that was coined by Stefan).  Where we present a pretty basic gameplay, but then over time start adding things.  This was extremely useful to us.  The main mechanics of our game Gravity Whip and Gravity Wells took so much coding time that almost all of our "stretch goals" were never able to come to fruition.  We still had to cut things, but this mentality saved us from being under more stress and not having to cut as many ideas.

- How could I have almost forgot STEAM.  Our game became the first ever game to be commercially available on Steam Early Access (Mirrors of Grimaldi only made it to GreenLight).

3 Things that went Wrong:

- Creating a VR game for the HTC Vive was a great experience, however, probably shouldn't have done it for a Senior Project... but I would still do it again.  Half of our team were not able to really work on the game for a good portion of time since they didn't own Vives, there was some spots they could use but not too often.  Plus setting up for presentations was a nightmare for me at least (even drove through a blizzard so we had a Vive to set up for the Beta Presentation)

- When trying to record something.  Something. Will. ALWAYS. Go Wrong.  Multiple recording sessions that would take 10+ hours and we would get only 3 minutes of usable footage.

- Trying to get feed back from a VR game when almost all of the faculty hasn't even looked at our game through the headset was kinda frustrating.

Things that I Learned:
- I learned about the process to actually publish a game onto a big platform, such as Steam.

- I learned how one has to set up VR games.  Such as, no HUD or else that messes with the player's sight.  It acts more as a smudge on glasses rather than the usual HUD that most are accustomed to in traditional 2D gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment